Sign InSign Up
All Posts

Types of Lung Cancer

Learn about the different types of lung cancer and how they affect the body and treatment options.
2023-01-06

Review of Types of Lung Cancer

Lung cancer is a malignant form of cancer that affects the lungs. It is the most common cause of cancer-related deaths in both men and women worldwide. As with many types of cancer, early detection and treatment are key to improving survival rates. This review will discuss the pathology of lung cancer and the various types of the disease.

Types of Lung Cancer

Lung cancer is divided into two major categories: Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer (NSCLC) and Small Cell Lung Cancer (SCLC). NSCLC is the most common type of lung cancer, accounting for approximately 85% of all cases. The remaining 15% of cases are SCLC.

Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

NSCLC is further divided into three subtypes: adenocarcinoma, squamous cell carcinoma, and large cell carcinoma.

Adenocarcinoma is the most common type of NSCLC, accounting for approximately 50% of all NSCLC cases. It typically begins in the outer part of the lungs and is often found in people who have never smoked.

Squamous cell carcinoma is the second most common type of NSCLC, accounting for approximately 25% of all NSCLC cases. It typically begins in the central part of the lungs and is more common in people who have a history of smoking.

Large cell carcinoma is the least common type of NSCLC, accounting for approximately 10% of all NSCLC cases. It is often found in the central part of the lungs and is usually found in people who have a history of smoking.

Small Cell Lung Cancer

SCLC is the least common type of lung cancer, accounting for approximately 15% of all cases. It is typically found in the central part of the lungs and is more common in people who have a history of smoking.

Pathology of Lung Cancer

The pathology of lung cancer is complex and can vary depending on the type and stage of the disease. Generally, lung cancer begins when abnormal cells in the lungs grow out of control and form a tumor. The tumor can then spread to other parts of the body, which is known as metastasis.

The abnormal cells in lung cancer can be classified as either malignant or benign. Malignant cells are cancerous and can spread to other parts of the body, while benign cells are not cancerous and do not spread.

The staging of lung cancer is based on the size of the tumor and how far it has spread. Stage I is the earliest stage of the disease and is typically localized to a single area in the lungs. Stage IV is the most advanced stage of the disease and is typically characterized by cancer that has spread to other parts of the body, such as the brain, liver, or bones.

Conclusion

Lung cancer is a serious and potentially life-threatening form of cancer. Early detection and treatment are key to improving survival rates. This review has discussed the pathology of lung cancer and the various types of the disease, including Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer and Small Cell Lung Cancer. Knowing the type and stage of the disease is essential for proper diagnosis and treatment.

USMLE Test Prep
a StudyNova service

Support

GuidesStep 1 Sample QuestionsStep 2 Sample QuestionsStep 3 Sample QuestionsPricing

Install App coming soon

© 2024 StudyNova, Inc. All rights reserved.

TwitterYouTube